Marine Anti Poaching Unit
Marine Anti-Poaching Unit – A non-profit company dedicated to reducing poaching, crime and poverty in the Overstrand area.
Research shows that during 2000 – 2006 when an anti-poaching unit was present in the area, poaching was almost non-existent.
Marine Anti-Poaching Unit strives to return the Overstrand to this state and achieve the following objectives
- Poverty relief through job creation
- Environmental protection through monitoring/reporting and assisting DAFF/Cape Nature/SAPS and other law enforcement agencies
- Anti-Poaching & sustainability education through awareness campaigns with local communities and social media
- Reduce poaching activity in the Overstrand region by January 2018
- Steady base of 20+ volunteers by December 2017
- Financial sponsorship to focus on permanent and long term solutions and job creation
Since inception we have handled 35 complaints with 78% success rate; 6 occasions where abalone was recovered from poachers and handed to authorities, 12 occasions where transport vehicles were prevented from entering the area, 8 instances where divers were disrupted by Marine Anti-Poaching Unit and not able to shuck abalone and 1 incident where 151 abalone was saved and put back into their natural habitat to recover.
Our continued success is reliant on donations and community support, thus we need you to assist in this environmental war.
For more information please visit our website: